Thursday, May 25, 2006

Because When I Think Of Baseball...

I think of Jewel.
Allow me to elaborate...I just received an e-mail from MLB.com( I got on their mailing list when I ordered some New York Mets onesies for the girls- so now I get e-mails periodically about voting for the All-Star game(I did) or entering a contest to show why I'm the BIGGEST BASEBALL FAN IN AMERICA( I didn't because I am not))...And it was an advertisement for Jewel's new record "Goodbye Alice In Wonderland", in fact the subject line of the e-mail was: MLB.com's Best Records: Jewel's "Goodbye Alice In Wonderland"...Now, I found this odd...And then I opened the e-mail, and it got odder...There are video clips of an interview with Jewel and of Jewel performing at MLB.com's studios !! Sorry, but WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm listening to the interview now, and they have yet to discuss baseball, so I cannot for the life of me figure out what Jewel is doing hawking her wares on MLB.com ? She doesn't seem to have any interest in baseball, and I don't know that there is a lot of crossover form Major League Baseball fans to sensitive, yodelling singer songwriters....I mean, I guess it's not something to have a problem with, it just seems so odd...Did her foray into pop and commercial jingles hurt her THAT much that she needs to take any PR gig she could find ? I know what you are going to say..."But Paticus, didn't home run hitter Barry Bonds admit to turning to Jewel's book of poetry "A Night Without Armor" for strength during his historic 73 home run season ?"...And that is true, but there is also mounting evidence that the book was written under the influence of steroids, which as we ALL know, increase your sensitivity AND ability to rhyme, so it is something that MLB is trying to distance itself from right now...PLUS, they didn't even mention that in the interview...It makes no sense, crimestoppers !! It just makes no sense !! I mean, I would understand if they had John Fogerty on, as he wrote that annoying "Centerfield" song....Or, Garth Brooks, because he tried out for the Padres, or even Jack White, whom you may not know was a touted minor league prospect in the Seattle Mariners system until he hurt his elbow in a gardening accident. But Jewel ? I just don't get it...And she didn't even perform "Standing Still"...I love that song...

No comments: