Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Certainly Hope He Sticks To This...

In what I believe is the current issue of Esquire( I have a massive pile of unread issues of Esquire, Rolling Stone, Gigantic Asses, and a few others-so I'm never quite sure which month's issue I'm reading) there is a Q & A with Ricky Gervais, and this question and answer made me very happy:

ESQ: Where is David Brent today?
RG : He may be consulting. He may be planting trees. He might even be married. All I know is you'll never see him again.


I really hope he sticks to this, because the Office(British version) is an almost perfect creation, and I would love it to stay that way. Could there have beeen more good episodes ? I'm sure there could have been, but when would it have turned bad ? Maybe never, but the odds of that are not good. And this way, we don't have two seasons of Agent Doggett and Reyes, like we did on the X-Files, or Jon Lovitz trying to replace Phil Hartman on NewsRadio(Don't get me wrong, I love me some Lovitz, but that is a show that should have ended when Phil Hartman was murdered.), or Charlie's Angels with Shelley Hack.

It was one of the reasons that I was kind of glad that no one picked up Arrested Development. As much as I miss it, there is not a bad episode of that show. Hell, just like the Office(British version) I don't know if there are even any bad moments. If there are, there are not many.

And I must admit, I kind of like it that way.

What do you think ?

Am I way off on this ?

What shows do you think went on too long ?

3 comments:

Lauren Matson said...

Didja see the Microsoft bit with Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais showing what David Brent is like as a consultant? I think Christine showed it to me, so maybe you have. Anyways, that's all you need to know about where Brent ended up.

Also, did you see Stephen Merchant on 24 last week? I did!

Paticus said...

I did not see, Stephen Merchant on 24, but that's because I CHOSE not to see him. I only have eyes for Chloe O'Brien.
Seriously, who was he ?

Lauren Matson said...

He was (ironically?) an Extra. I fortunately had DVR'ed the episode so I could pause and rewind a few hundred times and go "Is that really him?!"

You can catch the brief cameo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db28TnIAecY