Thursday, May 15, 2008

Emergency Contact...

I had a weird moment the other day...I'll warn you right now, it's not "funny" weird..It was just weird...And upsetting...And it's kinda been on my mind since then, so I'm gonna write about it here...It's probably a bit self-indulgent...And maybe pathetic, but hey...That's me too...

I was at the Dermatologist the other day, for my yearly "skin check" (which I need to do since they removed the "pre-cancerous" moles from my back last year), and they needed me to fill in a new Employee Information" sheet. No big deal, right ? I mean, it's always a bit of a pain in the ass to re count all that crap, but no big whoop.

Until, I got to the Emergency Contact line. That punched me in the gut a little bit. My emergency contact had always been my Dad. It's just weird. I mean, he's obviously always gone. And I think of him a lot, and I think of how he might handle things that I might be facing. I was just surprised by how much it hurt to really be faced with a concrete example of him not being here anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not alone. My Mom is still around when I need someone, and I have older brothers and sisters that I can count on, and I still have my Special Lady(saint that she is) and even my girls to lean on. And I have some dear friends. I know that there are people with lives faaar worse than mine, and I know I'm being a whiny bitch at the moment. And I also don't think I really had any point to all this.

I guess maybe I just needed to be a whiny bitch for a moment. So thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Avitable said...

It's not whiny at all. It's like when my Outlook calendar popped up last May (and this one) with my recently deceased grandmother's birthday. I get ya.

Paticus said...

Avitable-Thank you, sir. I appreciate the kind words.And sorry about your grandmother.