Thursday, March 24, 2005

"The bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean..."

It happens to me every spring...Yes it does. Every spring the Grateful Dead completely take over my consciousness...i cannot escape them(to be honest, not that I would want to)...those of you that know me well probably don't think that in this respect spring is different than any other part of the year,Grateful Dead obsession-wise, but i assure you, there is a difference, at least in my head...I don't know what it is...the music just sounds BETTER than usual...it makes me feel better...clears my mind(if only momentarily)...makes me smile( a smile almost akin to the chemically assisted smile of my olden days-but not quite)... I pop in a cd, hit random, and I get all giddy about what song I might hear(Box Of Rain ? Friend Of the Devil ? Scarlet Begonias ? St. Stephen ?)-chills up and down my spine, that fuzzy feeling at the base of the neck-it's definitely "funkengruven"...and they just sort of make me happy, I guess...i realize now that this sounds ridiculously hippie-esque and drug addled(it maybe the former, at the moment, it is certainly NOT the latter), but I just felt it was something I wanted to share as I sit here and listen to "Brown-Eyed Woman" from Oakland Coliseum Stadium, October 10, 1976...thanks for the indulgence... pjb

" Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County
Snowed so hard that the roof caved in
Delilah Jones went to meet her God
And the old man never was the same again

Daddy made whiskey, and he made it well
It cost two dollars and it burned like hell
I cut hick'ry just to fire the still
Drink down a bottle and you're ready to kill

Brown-eyed women and red grenadine
the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean
Sound of the thunder with the rain pouring down
and it looks like the old man's getting on " - Robert Hunter

No comments: