Wednesday, October 11, 2006

List: My 100 Favorite Albums: Part 2 : 79-61

79.Making Movies -Dire Straits : What's to be said about the guitar playing of Mark Knopfler ?He's a whiz, alright. This is one of those records thatIi always forget how great it is untilIi hear something off of it, and then I want to listen to the whole record again, and I am reminded just how good it is.

78.Mighty Like A Rose- Elvis Costello : One of the great, forgotten Elvis Costello albums.Some great tunes on this one. "Couldn't Call It Unexpected, No.4" is probably one of my favorite Elvis songs EVER. Plus, "How To Be Dumb" is one of the greatest kiss off songs this side of Dylan's "Idiot Wind" and "Positively 4th Street"

77.Antics- Interpol: I love this whole record, but "Evil" is one of those songs that I felt I had heard a thousand times the very first time I heard it. That doesn't make any sense, does it ? Oh well, it's a kickass record.

76.Animals- Pink Floyd: I was a little surprised when I was making this list how many Pink Floyd albums appear on it. This one was inspired by Animal Farm, apparently, which certainly seems to fit. "Ha-Ha, charade you are"

75.Havana 3 A.M.: The band Paul Simonen formed after the Clash broke up. I think they only made this one record, but it does show that the talent in the Clash went further than Strummer/Jones.

74.Ten- Pearl Jam: I don't really have a lot to say about this one. Always a great listen. I think "Black" might be one of the most beautiful songs there is.

73.Back In Black- AC/DC: I was once a 13 year old boy.

72.Dead Set- Grateful Dead: Great live record, if pretty heavily edited. But some great versions of "Deal", "Loser", the slow tempo "Friend Of The Devil"(inspired by a Kenny Loggins cover!!), and an absolutely beautiful "Brokedown Palace"

71.Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: What a debut album !!!"American Girl", "Breakdown", and "Mystery Man", quite possibly my favorite Petty tune.

70.Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan: Bobby, Bobby,Bobby. Fucking genius. A wordsmith, if you will. And some of his finest work, right here."Ballad Of A Thin Man", "Queen Jane Approximately", "Desolation Row", and of course, "Like A Rolling Stone", which is sometimes called the greatest rock 'n' roll song ever, and that is hard to argue with. "How does it feel ?" This album also demonstrates to me how random this list is, as this one could probably be in the top 20, shit it probably BELONGS in the Top 20, but what the hellfuck, right ?

69.Nevermind- Nirvavna: I am among those blasphemers who happens to think that Kurt Cobain is overrated. I think he is a very talented man, but I think that putting him on a par with John Lennon is overstating the fact. Having said that, this album is a masterpiece. Brilliant songwriting, brilliant playing, brilliant production.

68.Black & Blue- Rolling Stones: Great unheralded Stones album.Has "Memory Motel", my personal all time favorite Stones song on it. I dig "Hand Of Fate" and "Cherry Oh Baby" and even the much maligned "Fool To Cry".

67.Talk Is Cheap- Keith Richards: I'm a major Keith worshipper, and I think this fucking record is brilliant.

66.The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars-David Bowie: " Five Years"-Enough said.

65.Desperate- Divinyls: I know, I know, it seems like a joke, but before the silliness of "I Touch Myself" this was a GREAT BAND. "Boys In Town", "Science Fiction",'Siren Song"-Hell, they even have a song in the background in 16 Candles.

64.Suzanne Vega: What can I say ?I'm a bit of a sucker for the female singer/songwriter. This album has this spare, eerie sound to it.

63.Eat A Peach- The Allman Brothers Band: A great record. Southernjamrockwhateverthefuckyouwannacallem, the Allmans fucking ROCKED !!! And "Melissa" is one of the most beautiful ballads out there.

62. The River- Bruce Springsteen:One of the few double rock albums that doesn't have 8 or 9 songs you could do without. This one has everything, from the uptempo rockers to the slower, more haunting stuff towards the end. Plus, it has "Hungry Heart" on it, which, by the way, he wrote for the Ramones, but never gave to them. I always wondered what they might have done with it.

61.Flip Your Wig- Husker Du: I don't know what it is about this band. It's this weird punk/pop combination. I cannot explain it. I just really enjoy it, and I enjoy this record more than their others.

Okay, that's 40 or so down. 60 to go. The tension is driving me CRAAAAZY !!!!! How about you ?



No comments: