Thursday, January 24, 2008

Paticus' 115th Dream(Apologies to Bob Dylan)

I had this very fucked up dream the other night, the kind that when I woke up, I was actually shaking.
What's that ? You would like to hear about it ? Sure, here goes:

I was in the bar that my Dad owned while I was growing up. He and I were sitting at the bar. those of you who visit the Flats regularly will notice why this in itself may have made the dream unsettling. First time visitors, you can check here to see what I'm talking about.

But we were sitting at the bar in the middle of the day, and there were a few other people that I remember as regulars while my Dad was working. It started as a pretty mundane dream. I remember folks making fun of me for being a Dallas Cowboys fan, which was pretty standard anytime I was in there(they were having even more fun this time, as the hometown Giants had just knocked my Cowboys out of the playoffs)

I remember my Dad walking off to talk to an old family friend, and then them both walking up this set of stairs that led to the back rooms of the bar. The man with my Dad looked over his shoulder at me, and I didn't like what I saw in his eyes. I called to my Dad, but he said everything was fine.

I turned back to the bar, and everyone was gone. Well, everyone except one guy, who was now sitting next to me. He was someone that I remembered from when I was a kid, and he was always a good guy. He put his arm around me, clinked his glass against mine, and said everything was just fine.

Everything did not seem fine. I looked at my glass, and then when I looked up, it was dark outside.My Dad was still not back. I got up and decided to go check on him. The guy who was previously sitting next to me was now between me and the stairway. He wasn't looking at me, but i decided to go around the back way anyway.

Just as I got up from the bar was when I smelled the smoke. And as I opened the door that led to the other stairwell to the backroom, smoke came billowing towards me.Someone had set the building on fire. I ran towards the stairs, but I turned the wrong way, and instead fell down the stairs to the basement(I'm not sure exactly what it means to be a non-heroic loser even in your dreams, but I doubt it means anything good).

The basement of the bar always freaked me out as a kid. It was stone ,and it was always dark and cold and damp(it's where the kegs were). It had "Silence Of the Lambs" feel, years before "Silence Of the Lambs" even came out. I had not actually been down there since I was probably 9 or so, so it was the nightmarish basement of my childhood mind that I fell into. So, I decided to get the fuck out the basement quickly.
As I reached the top of the stairs, someone grabbed my arm, and held it while they hit me in the face repeatedly with the door to the basement. I think it was after 5 or 6 hits that I finally woke up, shaking.

That's it.

Fun, huh ?

No comments: