Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I thought of something yesterday that i wanted to write about today, but now I can no longer remember what it was that i wanted to write about today. Is about a preposition ? i added a second "today" because I didn't want to end the sentence on a preposition, but I'm not sure that "about" is a preposition, and wouldn't you know it? Today is the day I left my pocket sheet of prepositions in my other pants! Of all the rotten luck!
  
  here's another grammar question for you...When is "y" a vowel ? For the life of me, I cannot remember ever learning any rules that apply to "y" being a vowel. It's always just been "sometimes" y is a vowel... But when ? Did I learn this and forget it ? Or was it knowledge that was never given to me ? I mean, I still remember the "I before E rule": "I before E, except after C, or when sounding like "a" as in neighbor and weigh." This reminded me of a Brian Regan stand up from the '80's. Thanks to the beauty of YouTube, here it is, in all it's '80's glory: Brian Regan's take on the "i before e " rule. Still very funny, but the fashion is a leeeeetle bit dated.




Fuuuuny stuff. But seriously...Does anyone know the rule for when "Y" is a vowel ?

5 comments:

Verdant Earl said...

Brian Regan is one of my all-time favorites.

The line from that skit "the big yellow one is the Sun!!!" is one that I use about every week of my life. Seriously.

Kevin McKeever said...

By. Why. Any word in which y is about your only choice for a vowel.

Paticus said...

Earl-He's one of mine too. I love the "you too" bit as well.

Always- Thank you! Thanks for the visit and the comment and the grammar info!

Julie Falatko said...

Y is a vowel if you can phonetically replace it with one of the regular vowels. In Paticus' last name, for instance. Or in psychic. Any word where it doesn't make its consonant sound of "yuh."

Paticus said...

Julie- Even more grammar info! And with a personal reference! Well done! Thank you.