Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Saturday Morning Flashbaaaaaaaacks!!!!!

Over the past week, I have had two separate incidents that sent me flying back to Saturday mornings in the mid/late '70's !

  The first was an e-mail I received from Tee Vee Shows On Dee Vee Dee Dot Com alerting me(because I had asked them to alert me) that there is a planned release of "Laff-A-Lympics" on DVD!! It's only a couple of episodes, but I'm still pretty jazzed. This was one of my favorite Saturday Morning cartoons when I was a kid(SuperFriends was another major player), and I'm pretty excited to see it again.

  For those of you unfamiliar, the Laff-A-Lympics was a cartoon that featured Hanna-Barbera characters competing in Olympic-esque events, itw as a combo of the Olym[pics and Battle of the Network Stars..There were three teams, The Scooby Doobies(led, of course, by Scooby Doo), The Yogi-Yahooeys(led by Yogi Bear) and the Really Rottens(led by Dick Dastardly). It was pretty much the same each week, the Really Rottens would cheat, it would bvackfire, and the Scoobys or Yogis would win. But it was madcap and slapsticky and I loved it!! Hosted by Snagglepuss and Mildew Wolf.



  I used to sit on the couch, eat some cereal, and laugh and laugh(or laff and laff!).

  And speaking of cereal, that was the second part of my flashback! We were in the supermarket on Saturday, and they had all three of the MONSTER CEREALS!!!!!  SHAZAM!!!!!!   After my lamented Vanilly Crunch, I think the monster cereals were probably my favorites. And they had all 3!!! They brought them back for Halloween!! Of course, we bought one of each:




Boo Berry, Count Chocula and FrankenBerry!! Boo Berry was my favorite(so, it was, of course, the first one discontinued) both for the blueberry flavor, and because Boo Berry sounded like Peter Lorre.Here's a commercial:




Link for Facebook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTrPbX7zv2g
Great great cereals.

Looking for these commercials I was reminded of Yummy Mummy. He was annoying, and the cereal was not good. Here's that commercial



  Link for Facebook : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIuZDftRFvg


Certainly no Boo Berry. Not surprising it didn't last very long. Jerky Yummy Mummy.

Well, it's time for me to put on my footy pajamas and watch some cartoons !!

 Later, Crimestoppers !!

1 comment:

Poppy said...

YAAAAAh, BOYEEEEEEEEE! This post is the AWESOME!

I don't have any recollection of Laff-A-Lympics, which makes it EVEN BETTER!

Booberry is my favorite for perhaps obvious reasons. :)