Thursday, June 28, 2007

EW's 25 Greatest Action Movies Of All Time !!

Okay, the June 22nd issue of Entertainment Weekly had their list of The 25 Greatest Action Movies of All Time. Some were good choices, some were bad choices, some were puzzling choices. I won't even begin to talk(type) about the fact that in the magazine, they started the list at #1- what about dramatic tension, people ? Criminy ! Okay, I guess I lied when i said(typed) that I would not even begin to talk(type) about that. I clearly did start to talk(type) about it. Sorry, and in case you were wondering, my pants, are, in fact, on fire.

Here are some of my thoughts(which are really just my opinions, some of which are defendable, some of which are not-you can have your say in the comments)...

25. The Incredibles-I dunno. I didn't like this as much as everyone else seemed to, and this choice kind of stinks of -"ooh, let's put an animated film on there and blow everyone's mind!"

24.Lethal Weapon- Okay, I can agree with this one.The sequels sucked, but this one was a good buddy cop action move.

23.Drunken Master II- Didn't see it. Don't really care to.

22. Predator-Overrated. The Running Man was better, and more fun and Arnold was in that as well.

21. Spiderman- Okay. I can hang with this one.

20.Kill Bill Vol 1- Great choice. Great movie. "action movie" didn't jump to my mind right away, but the fight sequences are pretty badass.

19. Goldfinger-I have to agree with the laser beam crotch scene being one of moviedom's all time images.

18.The Adventures Of Robin Hood- Haven't seen it.Don't know that I will.

17. The Bourne Supremacy- I did not expect to like the Bourne movies, but really did. I can never remember anything about them, but I don't care.

16.Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon- I have said before, I hated this movie. Bored me to tears, then to sleep, then I woke up and cried again.

15. Enter The Dragon- Bruce Lee. I haven't seen the whole thing, but...Bruce Lee- enough said ? probably.

14. Robocop- "I'll buy that for a dollar." Fun movie. I dug it.

13. The Wild Bunch- Peckinpah.

12. The Empire Strikes Back- One of the greatest movies ever, so this should be further up the list.

11. Speed- Ugh. This movie is a piece of crap.

10. Terminator 2: Judgement Day- One of the most overrated movies of ALL TIME. First of all, it is NOT better than the first one. Secondly, Linda Hamilton is ridiculous in it. It's like a parody of the first movie. Okay, I'll give you that the Robert Patrick cyborg is cool , but this movie goes on forever.

09. Hard Boiled- The two gun thing is neat, but i don't remember much else about this movie. Though I'm tempted to agree with Homer Simpson, when he talked of "..misdirected woo, which is just about any John Woo film", just because that always made me laugh, not necessarily because it's true.

08. Saving Private Ryun-Fuck this movie.

07.Gladiator- On second thought fuck THIS movie. OH. MY. GOD. What a pile of shit. And Russel Crowe won an Oscar for this ? For playing a Spaniard with an Australian accent ? He should have won for the Insider, not for this. This movie was CRAPTACULAR !!!

06.Seven Samurai-Kurosawa-Enough said.

05. The Matrix- I'm torn on this one. On an action level, it was pretty cool, but the sequels were soooo bad, that it actually hurts this one. I would probably have it on the list, but maybe not so high.

04.The Road Warrior- Mad Max is better, but this is a great movie.

03.Raiders Of The Lost Ark- Brilliant movie. Action packed, funny. the acting is actually good.

02.Aliens- Great, great movie. Back when James Cameron could still make great movies. This thing never fucking slows down. It's so damn good.It's the one sequel that I might be tempted to say was better than the original.

01. Die Hard- Fuck yes !! Yippee-ki-yay-motherfucker !!! This is a fan-fucking-tastic movie, and has to be considered for one of the greatest franchises ever. All 3 of the movies are really really good. And I am fucking excited to see the 4th one. We lived in L.A. for 8 years, and we saw the old Nakatomi building just about everyday. Kickass !!!

So there you have it. Whaddya think ? Am I full of shit ?

I think I might come up with my own Top 25 Action Movies list as well. Would that qualify as a sequel ?

Stay Tuned.

4 comments:

Jeff Janusch said...

The best action film ever is "Sands Of Iwo Jima", the John Wayne WWII film that was "the formative film of my life", according to Newt Gingrich. Once you get past the anti-Japanese slurs ("little lemon-colored characters"), you'll chuckle at the subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at religion in the movie plus a soldier who is clearly gay. I must have sat through this one a couple dozen times with my old man growing up. Great lines throughout.

Paticus said...

Jeff- i think I saw that a long, long time ago, but i don't remember it. I'll have to check it out.

Avitable said...

Wait until you see Transformers. I think it belongs on the list.

Paticus said...

Avitable- I was on the fence(leaning towards{or should that be toward ? I never remember} against, quite frankly) on seeing Transformers, but I think we have similar tastes, so I might have to re-think that.